Wedding planning timeline
It’s obvious that you need to be organised when planning a wedding but understanding what needs to be done and when is paramount. Here are our simple steps to help you countdown to your wedding day!
Don’t put it off, do it now…
- Spread the word that you are engaged.
- Decide on your wedding date.
- Decide on the type of ceremony you want.
- Who will be paying for the wedding? Set your budget.
- As a couple, discuss what your priorities are.
- Decide on your wedding guest list.
- Visit potential venues.
- Organise wedding insurance.
- Open a wedding bank account.
- Decide on your bridal party – best man, bridesmaids and ushers.
- Start researching bridal magazines for inspiration.
- Consider hiring a wedding planner.
6-12 months to go
- Send out save the dates.
- Arrange to meet your minister or book your registrar.
- Book your wedding venue.
- Visit your local bridal fairs to meet suppliers.
- Arrange tastings with caterers or your chosen venue and select your menu.
- Try on wedding dresses. Remember than can take up to 6 months to arrive and this is before fittings.
- Book your photographer.
- Book your videographer.
- Book your wedding cars.
- Order your stationery.
- Choose your florist.
- Look at cake makers and try samples.
- Book your entertainment.
- Start your health and beauty regime.
4-6 months to go
- Give notice of your marriage to the superintendent registrar if not marrying in church.
- Confirm your readings and choice of music for your ceremony.
- Arrange suit hire for the groom and bridal party.
- Order your wedding cake.
- Choose your wedding rings.
- Choose your gift list company.
- Finalise your guest list.
- Select the wording for your wedding invitations.
- Block book guest accommodation if required.
- Compile a guest information sheet with details of guest accommodation and directions etc.
- Choose your wedding favours.
- Book your venue dressers and hire any equipment you may require.
- Arrange your first dressing fitting. Remember to take your wedding shoes.
- Order your bridesmaids dresses.
- Choose your hair and make-up artists.
- Book a toastmaster if required.
- Book your honeymoon.
2-4 months to go
- Send out your wedding invitations. Remember to date your RSVP’s a week before you require your final guest numbers.
- Confirm your ceremony order of service.
- Buy a guest book or arrange an alternative.
- Print your order of service.
- Plan your hen and stag celebrations.
- Buy clothes for your honeymoon.
- Book your wedding night accommodation if required.
- Buy gifts for the bridal party.
1-2 months to go
- Chase all unanswered wedding invitations.
- Finalise your table plan.
- Give your final guest numbers and dietary requirements to your venue and caterer.
- Have a final meeting with your florist to confirm your requirements.
- Arrange your hair and make-up trial.
- Arrange a date for your church rehearsal.
- Remind your bridal party who are giving speeches that they should be working on them.
- Arrange a final fitting for your wedding and bridesmaids’ dresses.
- Have a final meeting with your photographer and videographer.
- Hold your hen and stag celebrations.
2 weeks to go
- Confirm all your supplier bookings and ensure each one has the information they need.
- Write out your place cards.
- Create your table plan.
- Gather together all the items that need to be taken to your wedding venue.
- Confirm your honeymoon details.
- Arrange to pick up your wedding outfits.
1 week to go
- Confirm again final numbers to your venue and caterer.
- Pick up suits and ensure each person tries them on.
- Collect your wedding dress.
- Wear in your wedding shoes.
- Hold a wedding rehearsal.
- Arrange for your wedding cake to be delivered to your wedding venue.
- Ensure that someone is allocated to return the suits.
- Collect your wedding rings.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
The day before
- If necessary, help to decorate the venue.
- Have a manicure and pedicure.
- Deliver all the table décor items to your wedding venue.
- Try to have a relaxing evening and an early night.